Saturday, July 24, 2010

Last Day In Cambodia

English Camp was only a half day. We handed out certificates of competion to the students and then each of the teachers was given a gift, a Cambodian scarf.
Today Jake gave his testimony along with one of the other teachers. He shared how he came to Christ at a young age and then recommited his life to the Lord as a freshamn in high school at one of the church concerts. I know I'm his Dad, but I was moved by it. I had never heard his full testimony so it was nice to hear him share it with everyone.
At the end, the teachers were called to the front, and the Khmer students sang a goodbye song to us. All of us were touched by it. I looked out into the sea of faces singing to us and saw Song Ty, Chomeas, Sarorn, Bun Ra, Ho, Vanny, and others. Buntheoun was standing on a chair so he could see us over the other students heads as he sang.
One of the teachers from Canada turned to me and handed me a small business card she printed up with her picture and e-mail address on it. She said she really wants to come back again next year but doesn't know if her church will send a group again or not. I told we would definitely be coming again, and I would keep in touch with her. She said that would be great and maybe she could come along with us next time.
After the song, everyone went outside while they set up for lunch (we ate in the same area where we taught). We had gotten markers so we could sign each other's shirts. Becky, Jake, and I made sure all of the Vietnamese students signed our shirts. A number of my students signed my shirt and wanted me to sign theirs as well. Buntheoun wrote a message in Vietnamese on my shirt. He said now I have to learn Vietnamese. He wrote something about next year's Youth Camp for the Vietnamese students. He really wants us to come to that. We will have to see. I know both Jake and I would love to do that in addition to English Camp.
After we ate lucnh and said goodbye to everyone, Buntheoun took us to see his church, meet with his pastor, and walk to one of the Vietnamese villages. He arranged for a tuk tuk to take us there while he followed behind on his moto (motorbike).
When we got to the church, his pastor had an area for us to sit and visit with him. The pastors wife, Ngoc, prounced like "now", spoke a little english. Buntheoun translated mostly for us. What a great opportunity to hear his story and how he became a pastor in Cambodia. Ask Becky Jake, Lisa Herdt, or myself sometime and we can share with you about it.
Then the pastor took us to one of the villages along the river. A new bridge is being built nearby and the government will force the Vietnamese to move somewhere else once the bridge is finished. The Vietnamese are illegal aliens in Cambodia and only barely tolerated. They are not allowed to own land and restricted in other ways as well. This is one of the many reasons they are involved in the sex trade. Such a sad situation. While in the village, we saw one of the girls from english camp. She lives on a boat in the village. We could have gone on the boat. However, the only way on the boat was by traversing a narrow board suspended over the water by branches adn other not so safe pieces of wood. It was made to hold their body weight, not the fat Americans standing on the shore looking at their houses.
By the way, did I tell you I am now officially fat and old? While we were visiting the floating Vientamese village in Siem Reap last week, several children in the church got a kick out of patting me on the belly and laughing. I am the fat Amnerican. Then during english camp, one of the kids referred to my grey hair, and another one also patted me on the belly. I have got to lose some weight!
After visiting the Vietnamese village, we left the pastor there because he was going to deliver some medicine to a villager. Buntheoun took us to the Russian market where he helped us negotiate cheap prices on local goods. Then we ate dinner with him. I'll admit it was hard saying goodbye to Buntheoun. He such an amzing kid in such a tough environment. God is raising up this young man to do some great work in Cambodia.
Right now, we are sitting in the Seoul, South Korea airport waiting for our flight to Chicago. Now we are trying to adjust back to Wisconsin time.
This has been a great opportunity to serve God and hope other people will come with us next year to make a difference halfway around the world. It will chenge your life forever. It has mine.
Blessings
Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment