Thursday, July 21, 2011

Thursday, July 21

It is now 10:24pm in Cambodia. Today was pretty cool. English Camp itself was nice. As usual though, it's the stuff outside of the camp which makes it even better.
During the first singing time, I noticed Chomneas had come. He was sitting by Jake and Ty. I went back and said hi. During the teaching time, Jake and I again had the Vietnamese kids in our teaching group. Since they already know a fair amount of English. We worked on how to say things properly instead of with the typical foreign choppy english. I had them talk in english but Jake had to speak in Vietnamese. They all enjoyed it.
After lunch, we went to an orphanage. This was a different one than we had been to over the past 3 years. Each color group took some of the orphans and taught them a song. Afterwards, we sang that song for the entire group. Some people in our grop knew a song cvalled, "The Moose Song". It was a lot of fun and the kids kept singing it afterwards.
For dinner, all of the Vietnamese students went to eat pizza with us. Some of the students from past years also met us there. There wre over 20 Vietnamese students there! Who would have ever thought that we would have friendships with so many people in Cambodia? I truly feel blessed.
Some of the kids arrived separately. When Thavy and Thy came in, the yelled, "Tom!"and gave me a big hug. Then they saw Jake and did the same thing with him. Song Ty and Song Ho walked in with smiles and we hugged as well. It felt like a family reunion! We ate pizza and joked around. The kids got free ballons from the hostess and started beating each other with them. Too funny!
I was talking to Than Than, Thavy, and Ty. I asked them what they want to do when they finish high school. All 3 girls are approx 20 years old and in 11th grade. Than Than would like to go to university to become a lawyer. I asked Bopha, who is also 20years old but in 9th grade, what she would like to do and she said she would like to be an accountant. I hoped these girls would be able to acheive some of their dreams to get out of the desparate cycle of poverty they live in. Some of these girls were at one point at risk of being sold be their parents into the sex trade when they were younger. However, the missionaries worked hard to keep this from happening and to give them a future through schooling.
After pizza, we went to the riverfront. I had ot go back to the guest house to pick up my wallet. So, Buntheoun gave me a ride there on the back of his moto(motorbike). Jake rode on the back of Sarorn's. I haven't talked to Jake yet about it since he and Sandy Khun, a boy he knows from past years, are hanging out in the room. However, if his ride was anything like mine, I'd say it had to be really cool. Now, driving in Camboida is örganized chaos". "There are rules. However, those rules would get you arrested or in a serious accident in the US.
Starting out, Buntheoun said I am "so heavy!" Then he is weaving in and out of traffic. He drives down the wrong way of streets (which is allowed in Cambodia). As I see traffic coming at us, he is answering his cell phone and then placing it backin his pocket as he is breaking. It was so much fun!
At the riverfront, Jake was dancing with the kids, break dancing, moon walking, and other moves he has learned. I was pretty impressed! The kids were getting into it as well. While we were at the riverfront, I gave the kids the crosses we brought along. Tammy Bunting and James Jensen, from LifeTree Church where I pastor, make them using nails and colored wire. The kids loved them and really appreciated the gift.
Just being able to be a part of these kids lives is a huge blessing and just flat out amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment